Welcome to The Wanderers Club, Joburg’s Top Sports Club & Conferencing Venue
Our vision is to rival the best sports clubs in the world.
Our mission is to:
- Promote sport, fair play and excellence – both on and off the field
- Provide world-class facilities for sport and leisure
- Encourage participation, and develop and nurture sporting talent
- Create an open and friendly environment for socialising with members, friends and family
- Offer an exceptional venue for weddings, conferences and cultural activities
In pursuing our mission and vision, we pride ourselves on our Core Values
- Growth and diversity: we are committed to building an inclusive club that promotes and values diversity
- Family: we put family first. We believe that every member of the family should be able to enjoy the many amenities our Club has to offer
- Loyalty: we treat members, guests and visitors as part of the Wanderers community and we aim to create a connection where everyone, from any background, feels at home
- Respect: We will foster an environment that respects and values employees, members, visitors, service providers and everyone who is associated with the Club.
The Wanderers Club is governed by a Constitution which is adhered to by a governing Committee democratically elected by its Members. The Committee sets the policies to be followed but delegates the day to day conducting of the Club affairs to the appointed management and staff members. The viability of the Club is dependent on substantial usage of its food and beverage facilities by corporate and other guests, as well as its loyal members. The Club is welcoming to all, strives to make sport affordable for everyone and uses all income streams at its disposal to achieve this objective.
Discover the benefits of becoming a Wanderers’ member
- Food and beverage discounts
- 14 sporting sections to choose from
- Free parking for matches at the stadium
- Free wifi
- Members Draw
- Members receive a R100 birthday voucher
- Reciprocity with numerous local & overseas social and sporting clubs including the prestigious Hurlingham Club in London
- Free venue hire for personal occasions
- Reduced rates to Planet Fitness and the CrossFit gym
Weddings & Conferences
Located close to Sandton and the Rosebank Gautrain
We will assist in determining who your audience is, selecting a theme and making all the arrangements that are required to host a successful event. We provide a full service for weddings, conferences, events, exhibitions and many more. We have 13 venues to choose from including a Deck and Marquee of 1800 sqm which can cater for large functions of 1200 people.
14 Sporting Sections
From Road Running, Badminton, Basketball, Bowls, Cricket, Gymnastics, Hockey, Karate, Rugby, Snooker, Soccer (Junior and 5-aside) Squash, Tennis to Touch Rugby.
Established in 1888
It was a group of young rugby players who came together in 1886 as the first Wanderers Rugby Club in Johannesburg, quickly followed by another group calling themselves the Wanderers Cricket Club but the Wanderers Club that still exists today was formed in 1888. These young men had “wandered” from other mining towns, like Kimberley, attracted to the mining camp that grew from the discovery of gold in the Witwatersrand.
Since those historic days, Wanderers has provided a place for the people of Johannesburg to come together and celebrate life. Regarded by many as an extension of their own homes, the Club is at the centre and heart of sport, recreation, and conference activities not only in Johannesburg, but in South Africa.