NB: There will be a Time Trial as usual next week the 7th December, for those who are not taking part in the Pub Run, however, there will not be a Show Draw or Braai.
Another wonderful year of running is drawing to a close! 2017 has been a great year with many highlights for the WAC and we can’t wait to see what 2018 has in store for our runners. Very big congratulations must go to two of our runners who excelled at the SA Champs Cross Country event held recently.
- Leigh Privett (Woman 40) ran the 4Km SA Champs Cross Country in a time of 16:41. She placed 5th!
- Liz Sweindan (Woman 60) ran the 4Km SA Champs Cross Country in a time of 22:47. She placed 13th!
In other news, WAC will be hosting their annual Pub Run on the 7th December. This promises to be a fun-filled, festive event. The entries are almost sold out, so please enter ASAP if you would like to join in.
CGA licence renewal and membership renewal will open the first week of January.
ATT: All runners using the James Ethel Grey Park must please be cautious and run in groups due to the recent targeting of runners in the park.
- Next year we will be hosting a welcoming party for all WAC members. This will be a great way to meet new members, discuss upcoming races and events and gear up for the New Year. You will be able to collect your 2018 license as well as get a better insight as to what the club offers. Save the date: 18th Jan (Thursday).
- WAC has a new chairman. Congratulations to Francesca Parrini who will be taking on this role as of January, we wish her all the best.
This is the last newsletter for the year. Wishing you all a happy festive season, safe travels and enjoyable runs. See you all in the New Year!
Weekly Time Trials
Join us every Thursday evening @17:45 and challenge yourself by participating in either our 5km or 8km time trial starting from the bottom oval. The first Thursday of every month is our social night where you can join us for a bite to eat and a drink or two followed by a raffle where we have prizes sponsored by the Sweat Shop and Lorna Jane Activewear.
*Last TT of the year will be on the 21st December. We will be back on the 11th January!
Track sessions start at 17:45 every Tuesday on the top oval, all levels of runners welcome. Sessions followed are on the website.
Fitness in Motion
Core, core and more core! Strengthening exercises utilising your own bodywork coupled with some track work and the occasional out run. These sessions start @17:45 from the top on Tuesdays and cater for all levels, what you put in is what you get out.
Sunday Club Runs
Consistency is key and if you are looking for a great way to run a steady 10 – 15 km these are the runs for you. The pace is easy and the company great, this is how Sunday runs are meant to be. These runs depart from the top parking lot @07:00.
Anyone who would like to volunteer to set up and man the gazebo for a race can contact Kent Raines on 0846023172.
|Race||Race Date||Volunteer||Phone Number||e-Mail Address|
|Wits Kudu’s 15km||TBC 07.01.2017||Required|
|Dischem 21km and 10km||14.01.2018||Sam Bieske||0848038328||[email protected]om|
Up and Coming Races
- Wobblers and Wigglers hat race 16 December.
2018 starts with a BANG!
- Wits Kudu’s 15km – 7th January
- Dischem 21km – 14th January
- Johnson Crane 42km, 21km – 28th January
- Randburg Valentines 10km- TBC
- Pick n Pay 42km – 11th February
- Pirates 21km – 18th February
- Deloitte Pretoria 42km – 25th February
Trail season is upon us and there are lots of events on the go. Some of the biggies coming up include:
- Cape Town Ultra 2nd December
If you are interested in joining some trail runs in and around Joburg (they exist!) or if you would like to know more about what trail runs are happening please contact Mark Evans ([email protected]) and keep an eye on the WhatsApp groups for notifications.
*For more information on upcoming races please visit our website.