Since the news of the breakout of the Coronavirus in China towards the end of last year, we have seen it spread to many countries across the globe and South Africa has not been spared. The tone and content of the President’s address to the nation last night should have left no one in any doubt of the seriousness of the situation and the dangers that the country and all of us are facing if we do not take collective and individual steps to contain the spread of Covid–19.
The Wanderers Club is not immune to the threats that we are all facing and in order to protect all our members, guests and staff we are extending the safety precautions that are already in place. These are:-
- Signs have been placed around the Club highlighting the need for all of us to frequently wash hands. Soap and swipes have been made available throughout the Club and we urge you to use them.
- Avoid shaking hands and rather follow the example demonstrated by the President – touching of elbows.
- Implement good hygiene by avoiding coughing and sneezing without covering your mouth or nose.
- All banqueting and conferencing events involving more than 100 people have been cancelled.
- Various sporting sections will be affected by the virus – the Hockey section has suspended all practice sessions, coaching and league games until further notice. Cricket has no more home fixtures this season and all practices will be suspended. Rugby will suspend all practice, coaching and league matches until further notice. All bowls fixtures will be suspended. Karate is closed and Gymnastics will remain open until 28 March 2020 subject to a daily review of the spread of the virus.
- The weekly Thursday time trial organised by the Athletics section will be suspended until further notice.
- Facilities for Individual sports such as tennis, squash and badminton will be available to members but participation in formal league competitions will be suspended for our members.
Members’ areas such as Chariots, the Centre Court restaurant and the members’ lounge will remain open but all satellite bars will be closed. SilvaSale will continue to service Chariots and the restaurant.
We are reviewing the possibility of closing some of the entrances to the Clubhouse and you will be advised of the details should we decide to do so.
We are aware that all these restrictions are going to have an impact on members and their guests but we are facing a pandemic which calls for steps to be taken to protect everyone while continuing to make the Club as user-friendly as we can under these extraordinary circumstances.
We will be monitoring the position on a daily basis and we will react promptly should circumstances change.
Please look after yourselves, stay safe and together we will overcome this.