The Wanderers Club ProTouch U23 Professional Road Cycling Team got off to a good start of the season, riding alongside the ProTouch Sports Continental Team at both the #MpumalangaTour2019 and #GautengChamps2019. The first year U23 Team, presented by Jaguar Sandton and managed by Continental Team owners ProTouch Sports, comprises of Callum Ormiston, Ryan Terry, Qhawe Mdluli, Ethan Warrin and Tyrone Filander as well as Junior SA Track Champion, Tiano da Silva and Dian Janjetich.
Callum Ormiston finished a superb 4th Place on Stage 6, just behind the winning @NADMTB Team and World Tour rider Willie Smit from Team Katusha Alpecin, at the #MpumalangaTour which took place from the 11- 17 January 2019. The event co vert more than 817km of racing, 15 495m of vertical elevation over 7 days. The ProTouch Continental Team came away with the Green Jersey.
Ryan Terry finished off with an impressive 3rd Place at the #GautengChamps, finishing a couple of seconds behind 2018 SA National U23 Champion Jason Oosthuizen and 2nd year U23 Marc Pritzen.
The two Juniors Tiano Da Silva and Dian Janjetich represented the South African National Team at #AfricanContinentalTrackChamps and finished off with 3 Gold and 2 Silver medals, and a Bronze.
Support SA Talent Road Cycling Series Update
The Wanderers Club played host to the 2018 BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS AND 2018 ROAD CYCLING SERIES AWARDS in November 2018, presented by Jaguar Sandton and hosted by Phil Liggett [global voice of cycling] and Daryl Impey [current SA Champion and World Tour rider]. This event is a major fundraiser for the Support SA Talent Project. The event was used to launch The Wanderers Club’s re-entry into cycling, having initially funded Wanderers Club member and the first South African, Laurens Meintjes back in 1893, to attend and win a World Championships.
The Wanderers Club – Cycling Club (launching in February 2019)
A new Sub-Club membership option will be launched during February 2019 to existing Wanderers Club members and new members. To be competitive with other established cycling clubs in the area, it is anticipated that a range of experiential and discounted benefits will be offered to members and linked to the Support SA Talent Project. The Cycling Club Benefits will include:
- Event race number pick up at the Club for members;
- Bike transport at discounted rates, for out-of-town events/ drop off/ collection;
- MTB Multi-Park Entries for Bike Parks in Gauteng including Northern Farms, Central Park Trails (Modderfontein), The Big Red Barn, PwC Bike Park, Wolwespruit, Rosemary Hill, Buffelsdrift, Hero Adventure Hobby Park, Thaba Trails, Benoni Country Club, Avianto Bike Park, Rietvlei Bike Park, Cradlemoon, Hazeldene;
- An online Shop with preferentially-priced items – % of sales will also go to Support SA Talent: Helmets and eyewear, nutrition, shoes, various bicycles brands, bicycle bags and boxes, Bike setups, by the professionals, bike services, wheels and tyres, electronic wearable devices, bike Insurance and personal accident cover, training and coaching programmes, custom cycling kit;
- Members purchasing a Cycling South Africa full racing license (R450) also receive: R25 000 Emergency Medical Treatment and Emergency Travel costs and/or death benefit of R25 000, for any cycling related accident that occurs at a Cycling SA sanctioned cycling event.
- Events at the Club will also include specialist talks on nutrition, bicycle setups and performance management as well as access to the ProTouch Continental and Wanderers Club Team, for corporate rides and training programmes.
The cost to existing Wanderers Club Members to join the Cycling Club is R975 per annum including CSA membership and Central Gauteng Levies and full Racing License (R 775 is paid across to Cycling SA) . Members who only require the Cycling Club membership pay R200 per annum. Limited Edition – ProTouch Wanderers Club Jerseys will also be available for members to purchase at R850 each. New Members to The Wanderers Club pay the annual subs together with the Cycling Club membership.